Research & Food

Pok Pok on Division Street in Portland

Last weekend we took the chance to take the only family trip that includes the entire family in the four years that take in Bruce and Veronica's mission. We had to take the kids out of school for a few days (which didn't get a single complaint).

We traveled to the beautiful northwest and stayed with cousins. We saw a few relatives and ate a lot of great food.

That's the beauty of being a writer when you travel. If you've read my books, you know I include details about food and restaurants. That's because food anchors the story into the senses. At least it does in mine. I love it wheen a book tells me where they ate and what they ate. I think we learn something about the characters.

Anyway, we ate our way through Portland and Seattle. We ate the best chicken and sticky rice at Pok Pok (a restaurant that will be featured in My Own Mr. Darcy). We had Voodoo Donuts (the Memphis Mafia fritter was a hit) and had the best ice cream you can imagine at Salt and Straw. Imagine a flavor like pear and bleu cheese ice cream. Now imagine heaven. They're the same.

In Seattle we ate a family feast at Maggiano's in honor of Veronica's birthday. We had to put her birthday dinner off a few weeks because of wisdom teeth. We definitely made up for it. Then we had mini donuts at Daily Dozen, fresh peaches, Salmon pie and marzipan rolls at Piroshky Piroshky and almond delights at Three Girls Bakery, all at Pikes Place Market. And I can't forget fish and chips at Ivars (a restaurant on the wharf featured in For What It's Worth.

Now I've got to find another great city with outstanding food so I can research for my next book. Any suggestions?

Comments

Anonymous said…
I love food.
Kristi said…
I want to go on your trip with you wherever you go. Food is wonderful.
Kathy Habel said…
Fun to know it is a real place. I'm not that far into the book yet but Pok Pok has been mentioned :)