Whitney Finalists - Youth Speculative

I know I'm a grown up. The targeted demographic for these books is young people my children's ages. I still enjoy them, though. I enjoyed the two youth categories as much as any of the adult categories. This category--Youth Speculative--is, in my opinion, the hardest category to judge. Every single one of these books was good. There wasn't a disappointment in the whole category. Talk about authors with brilliant imaginations.

The finalists are:
My Unfair Godmother by Janette Rallison
Shifting by Bethany Wiggins
Slayers by C.J. Hill
Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George
Variant by Robison Wells



The reason I put a picture of Slayers isn't because it was necessarily my favorite, but it was the one that surprised me the most. A book about teenage dragon-slayers. I didn't expect to enjoy it at all, but it was a really fun book. Slayers and My Unfair Godmother are by the same person (C.J. Hill is a pen-name for Janette Rallison) and she's good. They were both great. Variant and Shifting were darker and edgier, while Tuesdays at the Castle felt like it was more for tweens than teenagers but it was charming and cute. 

All of these books were imaginative and well-written. This is a close and impressive category.

If you've read any of these, I'd love to hear what you think.

Next up: Youth Fiction - General

Comments

missy said…
Thanks for the C.J. Hill tip! My daughter has enjoyed Rallison's books. I just reserved "Slayers" at the library! :)