Whitney Finalists - Youth Fiction - General

This is the other youth category and overall it was one of my favorite categories. The finalists are varied and deal with some serious issues--mental illness of a parent, a serious physical illness of a father, family dynamics, hopes and dreams. There are some really good books here.

The finalists are:
Girls Don't Fly by Kirsten Chandler
Miles from Ordinary by Carol Lynch Williams
Pride and Popularity by Jenni James
Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsay Leavitt
With a Name Like Love by Tess Hilmo
I put a picture of Sean Griswold's Head because it was the first book I read after the finalists were announced and it delighted me. The story is about Payton, whose father has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and the way she copes with the news and the difficult family dynamics. I absolutely loved this quirky, sweet story. I also really enjoyed With A Name Like Love. It was innocent, old-fashioned and adorable. Girls Don't Fly was another favorite. I've read several reviews from readers who felt uncomfortable with the relationship between Myra and her mentor, but I didn't. I liked the relationship and how it helped Myra learn to care about herself. I really liked Myra.

Be sure to share your thoughts.

Up next: General Fiction (my category)

Comments