Whitney Finalists - Mystery/Suspense

I used to read a lot of mystery and suspense. As a teenager, I read every Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys book our library had. A few years later, I read every Mary Higgins Clark book I could get my hands on. I read Coma one time when my family was out of town and completely freaked myself out. But in recent years, the only mystery/suspense I've read are the Jack Reacher books, so I wasn't sure how much I was going to enjoy this category.

Surprise! I liked it quite a bit. 

The finalists were:
Acceptable Loss by Anne Perry
Bloodborne by Gregg Luke
If I Should Die by Jennie Hansen
Rearview Mirror by Stephanie Black
Smokescreen by Traci Hunter Abramson

Reading these gave me a fun dose of scary, creepy, and deranged characters with heroes I liked and villains I didn't. I felt most on the edge of my seat as I read Rearview Mirror and If I Should Die. I was reading Rearview Mirror one night after everyone had gone to bed and decided I'd better stop. I was getting a little worked up. Acceptable Loss had an ending I found ironic and surprising. I liked the ending a lot.

If you've read any of these, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Up Next: Speculative

Comments

Anonymous said…
Not my kind of reading. I am not into scary and creepy and especially not deranged! I will pass on this category. I prefer stories that don't creep me out and make me nervous to go to bed at night! LMH
Lolawid said…
I read Bloodborne and thought it was ok, and I read Rearview Mirror and was blown away by it! It creeped me out for several days! I'm a big scaredy cat anyway, but that was a good book! Thanks!
Karey said…
I'm with you Lori. Bloodborne was okay, but Rearview Mirror was creepy, scary in the best way. I liked it a lot.

And Mom, didn't you like Mary Higgins Clark books? If you did, you could handle Rearview Mirror.
Anonymous said…
I have never read a Mary Higgins Clark book! I have listened to a couple of audio's of hers. They were okay because there were several of us in the car listening as we traveled. I really am a "scaredy cat" like your other blogger above me. LMH